Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Digital TV > UK Cable > Cable TV Chat

Cable TV Chat Discuss all aspects of the cable tv world

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-10, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
wob

Default Re: Is Card Sharing Really Viable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
so ur a lucky one then? lol

nope m8 just done my homework and didnt google cardshare lol
wob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 06:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

thats a cyrptic post?
Old 29-07-10, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ive read more if your c/s with say your m8s where they are not greedy and adding loads of ppl onto your system, then they run very well.
andyjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Is Card Sharing Really Viable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjill View Post
Ive read more if your c/s with say your m8s where they are not greedy and adding loads of ppl onto your system, then they run very well.
not sure what you mean by this ... but the more u reshare the worse it gets depending on ya bandwidth. i.e on a 1MB upload u can easily have 50 peeps running smoothly without any freezes or glitches.
unadkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 06:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
wob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
thats a cyrptic post?

it isnt at all m8...its all about contacts over the years..comming onto forums like this dealing with members over a period of time etc..getting good name for yourself..helping others out and when you decide to get into say cardshareing theres loads of online buddies to point you in the correct direction..

the poster above makes a point about c/s with your m8s adding loads of people onto your system and they run well..

1stly you have to pay full subs to sly..secondly you have to get yourself a modded dreambox or whatever to run as the server..it needs modded to keep the temperature down to save your card from frying...you have to prolly purchase your friends and families dreamboxes or whatever..goto their house's,set them up there and collect their part of YOUR subs you pay to sly ..hardly feesable and not worth the hassle
Old 29-07-10, 06:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Is Card Sharing Really Viable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wob View Post
it isnt at all m8...its all about contacts over the years..comming onto forums like this dealing with members over a period of time etc..getting good name for yourself..helping others out and when you decide to get into say cardshareing theres loads of online buddies to point you in the correct direction..

the poster above makes a point about c/s with your m8s adding loads of people onto your system and they run well..

1stly you have to pay full subs to sly..secondly you have to get yourself a modded dreambox or whatever to run as the server..it needs modded to keep the temperature down to save your card from frying...you have to prolly purchase your friends and families dreamboxes or whatever..goto their house's,set them up there and collect their part of YOUR subs you pay to sly ..hardly feesable and not worth the hassle

The dm box doesnt need to be modded... just requires a modded image.. and a cam... and yes you need a local card in order for you to share the card no doubt...

the card defo fries I agree, as I have read about that issue which is why u need a NDS blocker.

either way doing c/s from your own house.. i.e running a server is basically bringing heat to yourself, not something I would be entirely be keen on.

Last edited by unadkat; 29-07-10 at 06:51 PM.
unadkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 11:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Technology Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by unadkat View Post
The dm box doesnt need to be modded... just requires a modded image.. and a cam... and yes you need a local card in order for you to share the card no doubt...

the card defo fries I agree, as I have read about that issue which is why u need a NDS blocker.

either way doing c/s from your own house.. i.e running a server is basically bringing heat to yourself, not something I would be entirely be keen on.

as i said earlier, what chance have the less techy minded people got??? very little.......
boomer39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 11:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Underground Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosophist View Post
I just can't see it working in the long-term on such a large-scale.
Its been working pretty well for years now elsewhere. Technically, cable is no different from sat.

Quote:
How many legitimate subscriptions would be needed for each area, who pays for all of these, especially when sales of cable boxes tail off.
It depends on the CS implementation but a proper CS server would require very few subscriptions. From what i've heard 10-15 subs would be the maximum ever required

Quote:
Whats to stop Virgin from buying one of these boxes themselves and making a list of all the cards being shared and killing them off? If they don't already have a box already. Then who pays for new subcriptions?
Afaik, the cards identities are never reported to clients so there's no way for VM to tell which cards are being used in the servers. Any CS that actually passed out a source cards identity would be pretty poor design.

Quote:
I've seen it work on a small / underground scale, especially with a few people splitting to cost of a satellite subcription amongst 5 or 6 people, but anything this large surely can't go under the radar of the cable co?
Probably not but the larger servers tend to be hosted in places that tend to be outside the reach of UK/EU/US law. Of course the servers can be blocked but its usually not difficult to change the IP address of a server or even the physical location if necessary. In most cases, its actually much easier to trace and close down the smaller local servers.

Quote:
Espcially after they finally spent so much time and money rolling out new viewing cards.
It will be interesting to see what they will do to combat the problem but even a pro-active company like Sky seems to be struggling to stop card-sharing so I really dont hold out too much optimism that VM will be able to stop it.

Quote:
I'm just interested to see what people think about this, as from what i've read a lot of people are buying boxes that might not even work very soon, from sellers claiming to offer 12 month subscriptions etc.
tbh, I cant imagine that anyone would actually believe such bumpf. There can never be any guarantee with this kind of stuff. You pays your money and you takes your chance !

You might get 12 months, you might get longer but equally it could all be gone next week.

Quote:
I'm not trying to scare-monger either, just every other large-scale CS operation i've read about seems to do down when the provider gets wind of it.
Strangely, its often the smaller CS operations that go down rather than the big boys. The smaller ones often tend to be run from the target country (a stupid thing to do) or a closely allied country and also tend to be very underfunded whilst charging high subscriptions (ie lots of profit with little outlay). The big boys (still lots of profit but tend to be a little better funded and somewhat better thought out) seem to mostly survive.
TheCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-10, 01:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
wob

in a nut shell TheCoder
Old 31-07-10, 02:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Awesome. Just the kind of reply I was after

I see.. the receiving end never catches wind of the original card ID's!

Thanks for the detailed reply
Neosophist is offline   Reply With Quote