Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Digital TV > UK Cable > Cable TV Chat

Cable TV Chat Discuss all aspects of the cable tv world

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-10, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chipped Box Help

Hi I have had a chipped ntl Samsung box for a couple of years and have always paid the guy I bought it from everytime it lost the channels to put them back on. I have now moved and was wondering what I would need to put the channels back on myself? I have no previous knowelege of chipped boxes.
Cheers Sam
footiesam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Chipped Box Help

Everyone registered with actual accounts with VM will receive a new smartcard ( Nagra 4) over the next few months. a lot of areas have already received these cards. these cards allow Virgin to track all of their STBs and smartcards. the smartcards also gain intelligence on what sort of programs each household watches and change the adverts to be more effective at reaching their target market. the new smartcards also have an off setting that can switch off both the card and the stb. The main hub that tracks equipment will be looking at all power draws on the system and checking if these are valid accounts or pirates (chipped). from that information they are setting up legal teams to possibly call at the pirate addresses and collect the equipment as it is owned by VM. they are also looking at sending teams of techs out to physically disconnect the lines in the street boxes to prevent use when people move.
gk5uk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Smile Re: Chipped Box Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by footiesam1 View Post
Hi I have had a chipped ntl Samsung box for a couple of years and have always paid the guy I bought it from everytime it lost the channels to put them back on. I have now moved and was wondering what I would need to put the channels back on myself? I have no previous knowelege of chipped boxes.
Cheers Sam
Dont know what the other guy is going on about mate! but in effect there is a new encrytion system,which has now made free t.v redundant.Probaly not even worth trying now mate it will be more expensive to get the right equipment and try to do it yourself, than it would to try and regain your losses at channels you may only have for a few weeks.
tiger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cost efficient muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk5uk2 View Post
Everyone registered with actual accounts with VM will receive a new smartcard ( Nagra 4) over the next few months. a lot of areas have already received these cards. these cards allow Virgin to track all of their STBs and smartcards. the smartcards also gain intelligence on what sort of programs each household watches and change the adverts to be more effective at reaching their target market. the new smartcards also have an off setting that can switch off both the card and the stb. The main hub that tracks equipment will be looking at all power draws on the system and checking if these are valid accounts or pirates (chipped). from that information they are setting up legal teams to possibly call at the pirate addresses and collect the equipment as it is owned by VM. they are also looking at sending teams of techs out to physically disconnect the lines in the street boxes to prevent use when people move.
What a load of bull. So they're apparently releasing N4, when they've already just released N3, and are due to release IPTV in 2012, which could indeed target ads to viewers

It also wouldnt matter if the smart card "knew" that the box is modified/chipped, seeing as though people are connecting to public servers, and they wont have "chipped" boxes. N3 was never hacked, so theres no need for N4 at this present moment in time
1m orbital+dodgy Motek motor
TG585 v7 bridged modem
DIR-615 D2 DD-WRT router
waqasahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-10, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

So would it not even be worth paying the guy I bought the box from to put the channels back on he charges 20 for this service? If he did put the channels back on for me how long would they last?
footiesam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-10, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cost efficient muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by footiesam1 View Post
So would it not even be worth paying the guy I bought the box from to put the channels back on he charges 20 for this service? If he did put the channels back on for me how long would they last?
Put it that way, you'd rather purchase my SV 2 If you do not have TV in your area, its not worth paying any one for the service(even if they say they can "hack" it) Your best bet is to get either the following set up::

Cable:
Kryptview A780
Router or Router and Bridge

Satellite:
Dreambox 500S

OR

Technomate 500S
100cm motorised dish+motor

OR

You could have something like my sig(Im not on a motorised setup any more )

With the satellite side of things, you need to do a lot more reading in to dreambox's before you go ahead lol
TG585 v7 bridged modem
DIR-615 D2 DD-WRT router

Last edited by waqasahmed; 16-07-10 at 03:58 PM.
Old 16-07-10, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk5uk2 View Post

who do u work for?
Old 16-07-10, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cost efficient muppet

Last I heard, he was fired from Rumour mill, as he was unable to spread rumours successfully
TG585 v7 bridged modem
DIR-615 D2 DD-WRT router
Old 16-07-10, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

pmsl.
Old 25-07-10, 08:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi All Great Site Here! Can Any Of You Guys Be Able To Tell How To Get My Pace Box's Return Path Back On?
gerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote