Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Satellite Receivers > Technomate

Technomate Support for the best value STB's around

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-08, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Using RF Channel

Hello there

Could anyone tell me what the rf channel is for?

I have a TM-3100D. I need to use a terresterial aerial for some (Irish) channels, but my TV's remote is gone and I can't tune any new channels on the TV. I was hoping the TM would be able to receive the antenae signal and send it to the TV through the AV channel.

The instruction manual says "Rf Channel: Set the channel to display the audio and video ginal on your TV (21-69) If you select 40, the receiver's picture will be displayed on channel 40 in your tv"

I tried this hoping that the aerial signal would appear on channel 40, but there was no sign of anything on the TV

Thanks for your help

Davin
Ladder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-08, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy Old Sat Man

Default Re: Using RF Channel

Hi mate,
The thing to do would be to try every TV channel and if you don't find the TM on any, change the RF channel in the TM and try again, it might work fast or it might be slow. I hope you understand what I mean, if not then post again saying it and I will try and chat you through it.

Veery best regards Wez
Old 19-11-08, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
manic midlander retired mod

The rf output is a modulator - its changes the audio & video output of the receiver so it can be delivered through the aerial cable to the telly, or into a distribution system. It wont take the aerial input and change it onto the av channel - you need an internal tuner for that

no keys
no patches
no offering or asking for card shares

Anyone pm'ing me for details of card sharing or anything to do with hacking cable will be banned immediately

Analogue forever!!
Analoguesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-08, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.

So if I understand you correctly, the TM isn't going to be able to "tune in" the aerial "RF in" for me, and I'll just have to get a new tv to tune in the aerial.

Is the RF Channel just for telly's that don't have a scart?

Cheers

Davin
Old 19-11-08, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
manic midlander retired mod

Yes - and for rf distribution systems which are still the easiest and cheapest system for sending tv signals around the house where you dont need ultra high quality.

Ive got all my satellite kit cross wired with rf cables in weird and wonderful ways so I can send any source to any tv I want

(Main tv, portable tv, bedroom via digisender, tv card in the computer etc)

no keys
no patches
no offering or asking for card shares

Anyone pm'ing me for details of card sharing or anything to do with hacking cable will be banned immediately

Analogue forever!!
Analoguesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-08, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Satellite mad

Yes, that is correct, you can't stick a normal ariel in it and expect to watch TV, although the TM 6900 combo can, as it has an intergrated Terrestrial tuner.

The main use of the RF out I think is for a cheap distribution system, although of course you can feed it into an analogue TV.
Old 19-11-08, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grumpy Old Sat Man

More or less, I have just had a thought here mate, if you have a DVD recorder or a VHS video recorder, you can use it to change the TV channel for you, you would need to connect the recorder with a patch lead, a RF lead and do as I said in my first post, some of your TV channels must be tunned to some of the RF Channels nd you should be able to get your TV channels by changing them on the recorder. Hope this makes sense.

Very best regards Wez
Old 19-11-08, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wink Re: Using RF Channel

Thanks again folks for the help

All the best

Davin